If you are one of those people unfortunate enough to have such a condition you will know that an auto-immune condition is a disease in which the body produces antibodies that attack its own tissues, leading to the deterioration and in some cases to the destruction of such tissue, abnormal growth of an organ, or changes in organ function. The broad ranging nature of these disease activities means that the signs and symptoms of autoimmune and related conditions are very diverse. However, common symptoms include fatigue, joint pain, a general feeling of being unwell, sleep and mood disturbances.
My approach to your treatment
Unfortunately, auto-immune conditions can’t be cured, and medication with strong anti-inflammatories or immune suppressants is often the only way to have any quality of life. However, it isn’t always possible for all symptoms to be completely controlled with drugs. Fortunately, in milder conditions and in particular circumstances, Acupuncture can play a useful role. For example, clients with conditions including Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s, Psoriatic Arthritis, Sjogren’s and Interstitial Cystitis have found Acupuncture to be helpful in the following circumstances:
- When the condition is mild but undergoes occasional flare-ups that either do not require, or do not respond well to, medication
- When medication is required but does not fully control the symptoms
- During periods when medication doses are being reviewed or changed
- To support the body and help it adjust after a course of medication such as steroids has been completed
- During pregnancy, or when trying to conceive
In treating people with such conditions my objective is to try to reset the signalling systems that have become confused and thereby treat the symptoms that are causing the most bother until they are reduced to a manageable level.
As with any other condition, you should not discontinue any prescribed medications without first discussing the implications with your Doctor.
Contact Mairi Caughey
Dip Ac, CAc, Lic Ac (Nanjing)